A List of Board Games with a SciFi Theme
Here's a list of some of the most popular science fiction board games.
These are in alphabetical order. The sci fi boardgames are arranged in
alphabetical order, and each includes a brief description. Some of the
names of the games are linked; if so, that means we have a page about
that game with more information. (Sometimes we even have an entire
section devoted to a single game.)
- 2038 - A science fiction adaptation of the 18xx
games. Players try to deliver commodities that are mined from
- 4000 AD - A science fiction strategy game set
during an interstellar war.
- 51st State - A post-apocalyptic card game where
players try to start their own country after the fall of the USA.
- Ad Astra - A space exploration and civilization
- Android - A dystopian, neo-noir game of conspiracy
- Andromeda - Players build mining operations
throughout the solar system.
- Alien Frontiers - Players portray deep space
colonists in an alien frontier.
- Amoeba Wars - A galactic plague of amoeba must be
defeated, and the players have to do it.
- Ascending Empires - Players colonize planets
throughout the galaxy using the technologies of four ancient
- AT-43 - A futuristic science fiction combat game
with pre-painted miniatures.
- The Awful Green Things from Outer Space - A comedy
science fiction board game from the 1980's.
- Back to the Future: The Card Game - A Looney Labs
game based on the movie series.
- Battleball - A football themed board game set in
the near future with enhanced football players.
- Battlefleet Gothic - Space battles set in the
Warhammer 40,000 universe.
- Battleship Galaxies - A Hasbro game that's
supposed to be an interstellar version of Battleship. Focuses
on space combat and includes detailed miniatures and multiple
- Players take the roles of humans (and Cylons) during the
relaunched television show. From Fantasy Flight Games.
- Battlestations - A space combat board game with
some RPG elements.
- Battletech - A tactical wargame where players take
the roles of giant robots.
- Buck Rogers: Battle for the 25th Century Game -
Similar to Axis & Allies, only it's set in the 25th century
as imagined in the Buck Rogers mythology.
- A miniatures game from Steve Jackson Games that simulates
- Chrononauts - A card game with a time travel
theme, from Looney Labs.
- Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game -
An homage to 1950's alien invasion movies, in which the players are
humans resisting an alien invasion.
- An interstellar space colonization themed board game.
- The Creature that Ate Sheboygan - An homage to
Godzilla movies and other giant monster movies.
- Doom: The Boardgame - A board game version of the
popular video game series, from Fantasy Flight Games.
- Dune - Based on the Dune novels by Frank
Herbert and similar in gameplay to Cosmic Encounter.
- Dust - A boardgame set in an alternate universe
version of Earth. Players try to conquer territory.
- Earth Reborn - A post-apocalyptic game in which
players take the roles of military scientists or occultists who want
to control the future of Earth.
- Federation & Empire - A political strategy
game set in the universe of Star Fleet Battles.
- Federation Commander: Klingon Border - A
streamlined version of Star Fleet Battles.
- Fortress America - Set in the near future, when
everyone in the world attacks the United States.
- Frag - A competitive first-person shooter
miniatures game. Captures the flavor of video game first person
- Freedom in the Galaxy - A tactical game in which a
small group of rebels try to overthrow a dictatorial galactic
- Fzzzt! - A robot auction game in which players
portray mechanics who are trying to build the best robots.
- Galactic Emperor - A science fiction empire
- Galaxy: The Dark Ages - When the game starts,
there are eight alien races. At the end of the game, only three
races will be left. Players bet on which alien races survive.
- Players build spaceships using sewer pipes.
- GEV - A sequel to Ogre from Steve Jackson
- Grave Robbers from Outer Space - A card game with
a B-movie scifi horror theme.
- High Frontier - A science fiction economic and
manufacturing game, where players manufacture goods in space.
- Horus Heresy - Recreates a huge battle in the
Warhammer 40,000 universe.
- Imperium - A 2 player board game set in Marc
Miller's Traveller universe.
- Infinite City - A tile laying game where players
portray corporations who want to control territory.
- Invasion from Outer Space: The Martian Game - A
science fiction themed version of the horror board game Last
Night on Earth.
- King of Tokyo - Another game inspired by the giant
radioactive movies of Japanese movies. This one was designed by
Richard Garfield, who's better known as the creator of Magic the
- Light Speed - Spaceships fight with lasers over an
- Mag-Blast - A science fiction card game with art
by John Kovalic.
- Martian Fluxx - Players take on the roles of
- Mechwarrior - A boardgame spinoff of the RPG of
the same name, which was, in turn, a spinoff of an earlier boardgame,
- Merchant of Venus - Players are space traders
dealing in commodities with various planetary factions.
- Mission Red Planet - A steampunk game about the
colonization of Mars.
- Monkeys on the Moon - A family strategy game where
you try to influence the happiness level of various monkeys.
- Monopoly: Star Wars - Plays just like regular
Monopoly, but the board features properties named after things
from the movies, and the playing pieces are based on Star Wars
- Monsterpocalypse - A collectible miniatures game
inspired by Godzilla and other giant monster movie characters.
- Monsters Menace America - Inspired by Godzilla and
other Japanese characters, players take the roles of giant monsters
fighting in America.
- Mutant Chronicles - A collectible miniatures
battle game set hundreds of years in the future.
- Nautilus - An exploration and city building game
set under the sea.
- Necromunda - Players take the roles of gangs
fighting in underground tunnels in the future.
- Neuroshima Hex - Set in the same universe as the
Polish RPG, Neuroshima, this is a science fiction strategy
game set after the apocalypse.
- Nexus Opps - A science fiction board game of
exploration and combat.
- A Steve Jackson miniatures game focused on tank combat in the near
- The Omega Virus - The players explore a space
station looking for weapons and information to help them destroy the
- Pandemic - A cooperative board game where players
represent members of the Center for Disease Control trying to stop a
pandemic from wiping out the planet's population.
- Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League - Set in the
popular German space opera setting as its name, this game has strong
economic elements. The players are interplanetary traders and
- Planet Steam - A strategy game with strong
economic elements set on a planet named Steam.
Race for the Galaxy - A card game similar to the
San Juan boardgame, only set in space, and with different
- The Resistance - A social deduction game similar
Are You a Werewolf?
- Risk 2210AD - A Risk variant set in the
near future with mechanical armies.
- Risk: Star Wars Original Trilogy Edition - A
Risk variant set in the Star Wars universe during the
original trilogy time frame.
- Risk: Star Wars: The Clone Wars Edition - A
variant of Risk set in the Star Wars universe during
the Clone Wars.
- RoboRally - Players portray computers controlling
robots as they explore a factory floor.
- Rocketville - Players try to become the mayor of a
retro-sci-fi town called Rocketville.
- Solarquest - Basically a Monopoly game set
in space. Players travel around buying planets instead of
- Space Alert - A cooperative game where players try
to survive together on a spaceship.
- Space Crusade - Space marines battle aliens.
- Space Dealer - A real time strategy board game
that lasts for 30 minutes. Players try to mine goods and deliver
them to each other.
- Space Empires: 4X - A space empire-building board
game with a heavy focus on the four X'es. (Explore, expand, exploit,
- Space Hulk - A miniatures game set in the
Warhammer 40,000 universe. The rules are much streamlined
compared to Warhammer 40,000, and the plot is similar to the
- Starbase Jeff - A pipe laying game where the
players are trying to build a starship.
- Star Fleet Battles - A miniature starship combat
game set in the universe of the original Star Trek series.
- Star Munchkin - A Steve Jackson card game that
superimposes a science fiction them onto the original Munchkin
- Star Trek: Expeditions - A cooperative board
game set in the JJ Abrams' Star Trek universe. Players take
the roles of Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and Uhura.
- Star Wars: Epic Duels - A combat game that
features 4 different locations and 31 different miniatures.
- Star Wars: Episode 1: Clash of the Lightsabers - A
1999 card game from Hasbro that simulates the light saber battle
between Qui-gon Jinn and Darth Maul.
- Star Wars Miniatures - A collectible miniatures
combat game similar to the Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures
game, which came out at about the same time.
- Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit - Recreates the four
battles featured at the end of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace.
- Star Wars: Star Warriors - A game of starfighter
combat set in the Star Wars universe. Uses some of the same
mechanics as the Star Wars RPG from West End Games.
- StarCraft: The Board Game - A board game version
of the eponymous video game. From Fantasy Flight Games.
- Starfarers of Catan -
The Settlers of Catan, but in space. It is a different game
with different rules, but it has a similar theme to the original
- Starship Catan - The card game version of
Starfarers of Catan.
- Starship Troopers - A board game set in the
science fiction universe of Robert Heinlein's eponymous novel.
- Stellar Conquest - A 1975 science fiction board
game from Metagaming and later, Avalon Hill. Players explore,
exploit, expand, and exterminate.
- Stonehenge - This is actually five different games
from five different game designers, but they all use the same game
components. Stonehenge features games designed by Richard
Garfield, Bruno Faidutti, Richard Borg, James Ernest, and Mike
Selinker. (The Mike Selinker game is the scifi game.)
- Sucking Vacuum - A strategy board game set on a
space station. Players are astronauts struggling for survival.
- Terra Prime - A game of space exploration and
- Thunder Road - A post-apocalyptic game of
vehicular combat, like Wreckage or Car Wars. From
- Trivial Pursuit: Star Wars Classic Trilogy Collector's
Edition - The classic game of Trivial Pursuit, only
with questions focused on the original Star Wars movie
- Twilight Imperium - An empire building game set
during a time of interstellar conflict.
- Warhammer 40,000 - A miniatures game of fantasy
combat, played out in the far future.
- Wreckage - A post-apocalyptic game of vehicular
combat, in the same vein as Car Wars or Thunder Road.
Did I fail to include your favorite science fiction board game on this
list? If so, contact us, and we'll update our listings.