A List of Board Games with a Horror Theme
Horror board games aren't as common as some other genres of board
games, but you'd be surprised at how many horror games are available.
Our list of horror boardgames includes a handful of horror
card games, but we tried not to duplicate any entries on our
of science fiction board games. If you're a fan of horror and a fan
of board games, then this page should offer you some ideas on which
games to take a look at next.
- Aliens - A battle game based on the movie of the
same name. Originally published in 1989.
- All Things Zombie: The Boardgame - Players try to
survive in a world overrun by the walking dead.
- All Wound Up - This is a Twilight Creations game
aimed mostly at kids. It features some windup zombie dolls in a
- Anathema - A card game set in Salem during 1692
during the witch trials.
- Another Day, Another Dollar: Horror - An expansion
set of the James Ernst game Deadwood. Players portray actors
in horror movies.
Arkham Horror - A cooperative game where players portray
investigators trying to prevent the rise of an ancient one. Based on
the Cthulhu Mythos.
- Atmosfear: The DVD Board Game - A time limit game
that uses a DVD as the timer. Players roll dice and move pieces on a
Betrayal at House on the Hill - Players explore a
haunted house. Players lay tiles to create a new haunted house
during each game.
- Black Stories - A party game where players try to
solve mysteries and murders.
- Blood Berets - A board game version of the RPG of
the same name. An adventure game played with miniatures.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Game - A
Hasbro/Milton Bradley board game based on the television series. Now
out of print.
- Bump in the Night - Players take the roles of
monsters in a haunted house. Their goal is to terrorize the kids
spending the night in the house.
- Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game - A "living card
game" that plays in a similar manner to Magic the Gathering,
only with a Cthulhu/Lovecraft theme.
- Cannibal Pygmies in the Jungle of Doom- A B-movie
themed card game.
- Chainsaw Warrior - Players fight bizarre
extradimensional monsters in the near future.
- Chill: Black Morn Manor - A tile laying game based
on the Chill horror roleplaying game.
- Cthulhu 500 - A racing card game with a Cthulhu
- Cthulhu Dice - A Steve Jackson dice game where
players steal sanity from other players. The goal is to drive your
- Creatures and Cultists - Another Cthulhu themed
game, where players create their own cults and try to summon Great
Old Ones to destroy the world.
- Cults Across America - A horror war game where the
players portray cultists trying to take over America.
- Curse of the Mummy's Tomb - Players explore a
pyramid full of traps.
- Dante's Inferno - Players travel to hell to rescue
souls and battle Lucifer.
- Dark Cults - A storytelling card game similar to
Once Upon a Time, but it's a precursor to that game, not a
- Dawn of the Dead - A 1978 miniatures game designed
by John Butterfield and based on the original movie, long out of
- Dead Money - A card game with some poker aspects
that takes place in an Old West bar that serves the undead.
- Dead of Night - An exploration game with multiple
scenarios, inspired by zombie movies like Night of the Living
Dead and Dawn of the Dead.
- Deadlands: The Battle for Slaugher Gulch - A board
game set in the Old West, but it's a version of the Old West with
monsters and steampunk aspects. Shares the same setting as the
Deadlands roleplaying game.
- Deadlands: Doomtown - A collectible card game set
in the Weird West of the Deadlands roleplaying game.
- Dia de los Muertos - A trick taking card game with
a "Day of the Dead" theme. (Not the movie--the Mexican holiday.)
- Dracula - A two player boardgame from Rio Grande
Games. One player is Van Helsing, who is trying to find Dracula's
coffins to destroy them. The other player is Dracula, who is trying
to find victims.
- Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game -
A simplified version of the Dungeons & Dragons RPG where
players battle the vampire Strahd.
- Elder Sign - Another Arkham Horror
knockoff. Players are investigators trying to prevent the Great Old
Ones from rampaging across the planet.
- Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space - A card
game with a space station setting. Players try to escape from the
- Fearsome Floors - Also known as Sinister
Corridors, this game is a race game where players are trying to
escape from a dungeon that's falling apart.
- Fury of Dracula - One player is Dracula; the
others are vampire hunters.
- Ghost Stories - A cooperative game that pits the
players against the lord of hell, Wu-Feng.
- Ghosts! - A strategy game for younger players,
where each player has 4 good ghosts and 4 evil ghosts.
- Gloom - A card game published by Atlast Games, in
which the players portray a family of misfits that would make
Charles Addams proud.
- Gravediggers - A Reiner Knizia game from Twilight
Creations. Players compete at robbing graves.
- The Great Brain Robbery - A card game from James
Ernest and Cheapass Games, set in the Old West, but with zombies.
- Gregory Horror Show - A collectible miniatures
game based on a Japanese children's show.
- The Haunting House - Players are trying to escape
from a haunted house which is laid out using the tiles from the
- Hecatomb - A collectible card game from Wizards of
the Coast in which the players are evil geniuses trying to bring
about the end of the world.
- The HellGame - Players are demons from hell
questing for notoriety. Has a strong diplomacy aspect.
- Hexen Rennen - A racing game in which each player
controls 3 witches.
- Hidden Conflict - A tile laying game in which
players are a faction vying for control of the world.
- The Hills Rise Wild - A very cool miniatures game
from Pagan Publishing, inspired by the fiction of H.P. Lovecraft.
- Horrorclix - A miniatures game based on Heroclix,
only with a horror theme.
- Humans!!! - A game based on Zombies!!! from
Twilight Creations, but in this version, you play the zombies
instead of the humans.
- Hybrid - A fantasy miniatures game with
laboratories and a horror theme.
- Innsmouth Escape - A Twilight Games board game
where one player is a student and the other players are the Deep
Ones who are after him.
- Intruder - A game from 1980, set in space with an
alien intruder theme.
- It's Alive - A mad scientist themed card game.
- Knock! Knock! - A card game where players are
hosting a Halloween party and must decide whether or not to answer
the door when someone knocks. The goal is to have the most
- Kult - A collectible card game for adults, with
graphic themes and art.
- Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game - A survival
horror board game where players try to survive in the face of hordes
- Luna Llena: Full Moon - A horror survival game
with a cooperative aspect. Some players are werewolves; others
- Lupus in Tabula - A werewolf detective game. Every
night a townsperson is killed by a werewolf. Every day, a
townsperson is lynched.
- MacGregor - Players are trying to escape a haunted
- Malifaux - A steampunk horror miniatures game of
combat in which actions are resolved with cards rather than dice.
- Mall of Horror - Players portray normal people in
a shopping mall that's been infested by zombies.
- Mansions of Madness - Players investigate H.P.
Lovecraft inspired houses, mansions, and other creepy buildings.
- Martians! - A variation of Zombies!!!
featuring invading Martians instead of zombies. From Twilight
- MidEvil - Another variation of Zombies!!!
from Twilight Creations, this one inspired by Army of Darkness.
- Mmm...Brains! - Players take the roles of zombies
seeking brains in this board game from Twilight Creations.
- Monster Mayhem - A fairly simple board game from
White Wolf that ISN'T related to their World of Darkness setting,
but that does include vampires and werewolves.
- Munchkin Bites! - A
Munchkin variant with a vampire theme.
- Munchkin Cthulhu - A Munchkin variant with
a Cthulhu theme.
- Mythos - An out of print collectible card game
inspired by Call of Cthulhu.
- Nightfall - A card game in which vampires,
werewolves, and ghouls have returned to a world where the sun has
set for the last time.
- Parts Unknown - Players portray merchants who sell
body parts to mad scientists. From Cheapass Games and James Ernest.
- Rage - A werewolf themed collectible card game set
in White Wolf Games' World of Darkness setting.
- Renfield - A trick taking card game from James
Ernest and Cheapass Games.
- Shadow Hunters - The players take on several roles
as they try to survive in a devilish forest.
- Spooks - A trick taking card game where the cards
have a Halloween theme. Very fun.
- The Stars Are Right - From Steve Jackson Games,
The Stars Are Right is a strategy game where the players portray
Great Old Ones trying to return to Earth.
- Tannhauser - A war game set in an alternate
history where World War I is still going on in 1949. The Reich has
access to the occult.
- The Testimony of Jacob Hollow - A card game set in
the fictional town of Castle Bay.
- They've Invaded Pleasantville - One of TSR's
minigames from the 1980's. Space creatures invade a small town.
- Torches & Pitchforks - A monster movie themed
card game. Mobs of townsfolk kill monsters.
- A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game - Players
take the roles of monster hunters in the 19th century. Combines
horror with high adventure.
- Unspeakable Words - A James Ernst designed word
game played with cards and a twenty-sided die. The goal is to score
points by spelling words, like in Scrabble, but if you score too
many points with a play, you run the risk of going insane.
- Vampire: Dark Influences - A modular board game
with a card playing aspect, based on the Vampire: The Masquerade
- Vampire Hunter - A Hasbro/Milton Bradley boardgame
aimed at kids. It has to be played in the dark because the light
changes color, and when it does, the gameboard changes.
- Vampire: The Eternal Struggle - A collectible card
game set in the Vampire: The Masquerade roleplaying game
setting. Notoriously complex.
- Vampire: Prince of the City - Players take the
roles of vampire clans from the Vampire: The Masquerade
- Vampyre - A 1981 minigame from TSR, the creators
of Dungeons & Dragons. Players portray characters from Bram
Stoker's Dracula and hunt the vampire.
- Werewolf - A village is haunted by werewolves.
Players take on the roles of either werewolves or townsfolk.
- The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow - A village is
haunted by werewolves. Players take on the roles of various
characters involved in the drama--werewolf, little girl, etc.
- When Darkness Comes - A miniatures game with RPG
aspects from Twilight Creations.
- Which Witch? - A three dimensional haunted house
racing game. The game originally came out in 1970.
- Witch of Salem - A cooperative game based on the
fiction of Wolfgang Hohlbein, who was inspired by H.P. Lovecraft.
- Zombie in My Pocket - Players fight zombies as
they explore a temple looking for a solution to the entire zombie
- Zombie Dice - A dice game with a zombie theme--the
dice represent victims.
- Zombie Plague - A team of zombies versus a team of
- Zombiegeddon - A Reiner Knizia game where players
have to prepare for a zombie apocalypse.
Zombies!!! - Players portray survivors of a zombie
apocalypse who are trying to get out of town by reaching the
- Zombietown - Another zombie themed board game from
Twilight Creations. This one is different from Zombies!!!
because it doesn't include the tile laying aspect of that game.
Which horror board game did we forget to include? Contact us if
you have suggestions.