A List of Two Player Board Games
a big list of 2 person board games. I've tried to limit this
particular list to board games that are ONLY for two persons, as opposed
to board games where two or more players can play. I've also included a
handful of 2 person card games on the page, but I've tried to limit
those to really exceptional and fun games.
- Abalone - An abstract strategy game in which
players use different colored marbles and try to push their
opponents marbles off the board. Designed by Michel Lalet and
- Agon - An old abstract strategy game played on a
- Babel - Players build temples in the ancient
worlds using personnel cards. Part of the Kosmos two-player series.
Backgammon - One of the oldest two player board
games, backgammon is a racing game with a random element. It uses
- Balloon Cup - Players take short balloon flights
and collect colored cubes. This is part of the Kosmos two player
- Battleship - A guessing game that was originally
played with pen and paper, but
Milton Bradley started publishing a
board game version.
Blood Bowl - A miniatures game from Games Workshop
that portrays a fantasy football game with dwarves, elves, goblins,
orcs, and trolls.
- Blue Moon - A Reiner Knizia game and part of the
Kosmos two player series of games. This is a fantasy themed card
game with several expansions available.
- Bul - A traditional board game with multiple
variants from Mesoamerica.
- Caesar & Cleopatra - A bidding game, where players
try to recruit Roman Senators to their cause. Part of the Kosmos two
player series of games.
- Catan Card Game - A two player card game version
The Settlers of Catan.
- Chess - Probably the most famous perfect
information game for two players in the world.
- Chinese Checkers - An abstract strategy game for
two people that's simple enough that even young children can learn
how to play.
- Connect Four - Players drop disks into a grid. The
goal is to get four disks next to each other, either diagonally,
horizontally, or vertically.
- Crocodile Pool Party - A racing game for two
players, with crocodiles and swimmers trying to reach safety at the
end of a swimming pool. Appropriate for kids. Part of the Kosmos 2
player board games series.
- Downfall - A Milton Bradley game from the 1970's.
Downfall uses a vertical board with dials, and the goal is to
get your discs moved to the bottom of the board.
- Dracula - Part of the 2 person board game series
from Kosmos. One player is Dracula, looking for victims. The other
is Van Helsing, looking for Dracula's coffins. (We've also included
this in our list of
- Dragonheart - A fantasy themed entry in the Kosmos
2 person board game series. One player plays the treasure-seeking
dragons while the other player plays the dragon hunters.
- Elk Fest - A moose wants to move across a river.
Wooden disks represent stepping stones. Part of the Kosmos two
person boardgames series.
- Fanorona - An abstract strategy game from
Madagascar. It's similar to tic tac toe.
- Ghosts - Each players has four good ghosts and
four bad ghosts. Your goal is to get rid of your bad ghosts and get
rid of your opponent's good ghosts.
- GIPF - An abstract strategy board game designed by
Kris Burm. Players push tokens on a hexagonal board.
- Go - An ancient Chinese board game with simple
rules but a strong strategic element. Players place black and white
stones on the intersections of a 19X19 grid. The object of the game
is to control space on the board.
- Gone Fishing! - One player is the fishermen and
the other player is the fish. Then the players switch roles. One of
Kosmos' two player game series.
- Guess Who? - A guessing game similar to 20
question that Milton Bradley published in the UK in 1979 and in the
USA in 1982.
- Hares and Hounds - A French board game where one
player plays three hounds, while the other player plays the hare.
The hare's goal is to escape the hounds; the hounds' goal is to
capture the hare.
- Heave Ho! - Two Scotsmen engage in a tug of war,
which is simulated using a deck of cards. Winners of each tug of war
get a barrel of whiskey. The first player to win three barrels of
whiskey is the big winner.
- Hellas - An ancient Greece themed game of combat.
Part of the Kosmos two player series.
- Hera & Zeus - Another entry in the Kosmos two
player series of boardgames. Players portray Greek gods who want to
destroy each other.
- Hijara - An abstract strategy game designed by
Martin H. Samuel in 1985. "Hijara" is the Arabic word for "small
- Ingenious: Travel Edition - A 2 player travel
version of the Ingenious board game.
- Isola - An abstract strategy game played on a 7X7
grid. Each player has a single piece.
- Jambo - A card game where players are merchants
selling wares from market stands.
- Janggi - A popular abstract strategy game in
Korea, Janggi is also called Korean chess.
- Kahuna - Players place bridges around islands. The
Rio Grande version has high production values, and the game is part
of the Kosmos two player game series.
- Kalah - A variation of mancala invented in 1940 by
William Julius Champion Jr.
- Kamisado - A two person board game played on an
8X8 grid. Each player controls dragon towers that match the colors
on the squares.
- Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation - Each player
controls nine characters from Middle Earth. One side represents good
and the other, evil. Combat is resolved via card play.
- Lord of the Rings: The Duel - A card game that
represents the duel between Gandalf and the Balrog. This one is a
lot of fun.
- Lord of the Rings: The Search - Frodo and Sam
search for Mount Doom on a map. I didn't much like this game.
- Lost Cities - A Reiner Knizia card game from 1999.
The game does use boards for the placement of the cards, but it's
really a card game, not a board game. The game is so much fun I had
to include it though.
- Master Mind - A code breaking board game invented
by Mordecai Meirowitz in 1970.
- Nine Men's Morris - An abstract strategy game that
dates back to the Roman Empire.
- Obsession - A 1977 board game which involves
moving rings in numbered slots.
- Odin's Ravens - Ravens race across different types
of land represented by cards. Part of the Kosmos 2 person board
- Oware - A member of the mancala family of board
- Patolli - A race/war game that was focused on
gambling. It's an ancient Mesoamerican game.
- Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League - Players
transport merchandise between planets. A science fiction entry in
the two person boardgame series from Kosmos. (You can read about
science fiction board games here.)
- Plateau - A self-published game designed by Jim
- The Reef - Players form a reef. Then they collect
worms, which enable them to breed fish. Part of the Kosmos two
player board game series.
- Reversi - Also commonly known as Othello. An
abstract strategy board game played on an 8X8 grid. The playing
pieces are black on one side and white on the other.
- Rithmomachy - An early European boardgame that's
also called "The Philosopher's Game."
- Senet - An ancient Egyptian board game.
- Shogi - The most popular Japanese version of a
- Snakes and Ladders - An ancient Indian board game.
The object is to get one's game piece from the bottom of the board
to the top of the board.
- Starship Catan - A two player card game version of
Starfarers of Catan.
- Stratego - A Milton Bradley board game with a
10X10 gameboard and 40 pieces for each player. The pieces represent
soldiers. The goal is to capture the opponent's flag.
- Sugoroku - There are actually two Japanese board
games with this name. One is similar to backgammon. The other is
similar to Snakes and Ladders.
- Tally Ho! - One player plays the hunters and
lumberjacks. The other player plays the foxes and the bears. Part of
the Kosmos 2 person boardgames series.
- Times Square - A Reiner Knizia board game for 2
players. Each player has six game figures they're trying to move to
the opposite side of the board. Part of the Kosmos two player
- Twilight Struggle - A Cold War themed board game
with a victory point system. One of the most popular board games of
- Ubongo: Duel - Players each try to solve a puzzle.
The player who finishes the puzzle fastest gets to move his pawn
forward on the game board.
- Xianggi - A Chinese board game similar to chess.
Did I miss your favorite 2 person board game? If so, contact us, and
we'll update the page by adding your favorite 2 player board games.
1 Player Games
Sometimes people are looking for 1 player games. There are
board games suitable for solitaire play. Here are a couple of
- The Walking Dead
- Star Smuggler